[OM] Kodak Black & White +400

Subject: [OM] Kodak Black & White +400
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 12:57:40 +0000
Related more to what you might *use* in your Olympus . . .

I just recently shot a roll of Kodak's Black & White +400 and turned it in to
Kodak Premium Processing (KPP) for next-day developing and printing (just as
you would with C-41 color negative).  This is a chromogenic C-41 process film
that has replaced the consumer version of T400 CN and is similar to the Ilford.

Now for the truly amazing part.  When I went back to pick it up a day and a
half later it was not there.  Upon inquiry I discovered KPP shunted the film
off to their B&W lab for processing in another state.  They tried to give me a
song and dance routine about how it is B&W and takes *five* days and can not
only be processed C-41 but put through their B&W process also.  Baloney!  Not
unless Kodak knows something unpublished in their data sheet on the film which
*clearly* states process C-41 *only* and *not* to use standard B&W chemistry.

I am wondering if anyone else has suffered this problem at the hands of KPP?
This completely defeats the whole point of using a chromogenic C-41 B&W film
that has shorter archival life (about 20 years; similar to color negative) and
takes the same processing time (5 days) as Plus-X, Tri-X and similar films!

BTW . . . the tech data sheet on this shows different response curves than for
T400 CN's.  It is more blue sensitive and not as flat across the spectrum.  I
had to ask Kodak where the tech data for 35mm B&W +400 is on their site.  The
Advantix tech data sheet on B&W +400 is missing the response curves along with
a few other tidbits.   They sent me a URL I cannot find a path to from the main
page.  The tech data on T400 CN is found going through their B&W professional
film listings.

35mm B&W +400 Tech Data URL:
http://www.kodak.com/cluster/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/f15/index
.shtml

If it wraps on the end of line make sure you copy the *whole* thing (without
CR) into your browser.
-- John