Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 19:34:34 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Giles wrote:

> I do not believe the 24mm f2 deserves the bad press it seems to be getting
> all of a
> sudden.
>  I recall Doris saying previously that she had both the f2 and the
> f2.8 and that she prefered the latter, but her criteria was weight,
> not image quality.  Anyway, she ALWAYS says she prefers the lighter lenses ;-)

   I do have three 24s, a 24/2.0, 24/2.8 SC & 24/2.8 MC. I am
not as wrapped up in the numbers game as the men here seem to be.
Nor have I run tests of any sort. I just use my lenses. Is there
visible vignetting (or is it fall-off?) with the 24 at f/2 ? DUH...

  I am extremely grateful to Gary for all the testing he has conducted
lately. His devotion to this list and OM in general are to be lauded.
But Gary would agree that there's such a thing as getting too hung up
on the numbers, I think. If photography was merely about pulling lines
per millimeter, what a boring tedium it would be !

   There's lots of vignetting with the 17-35/2.8 "L" Canon at
 f/2.8, and/or the 24/1.4 "L" wide open, too. The former has worse barrel
distortion than most cheap 20mms from 10 years ago. Does anybody care ?
 Does anybody complain ?  Not after paying an arm+leg+kidney (as someone
here once mentioned). The shots are published everywhere and no one
blinks.
   Relax...loosen up. I do not know about the rest of you, but when I
am shooting at f/2, it's available darkness, Hail-Mary time, and
 rarely is the camera on a tripod.
Has anyone here ever seen results of images taken with a Noctilux f/1.0
wide open ? You don't know what fall-off is until you've seen some images
taken with this legendary chunk of glass...
   Do I think of the 24/2.0 Zuiko as a dog ??? N-O. The moral of this
story is...don't worry...be happy...a little less A-R...get out and
take some photographs and see how the lenses work out for you, in your
own hands and on your own subjects.
  Remember when everybody did a little edge & corner burning-in on their
exhibition prints ? :-)

                                        *= Doris Fang =*