Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:47:45 -0600 (CST)

> I shot the XA lens test today, but won't have results till next week.  I
> passed on doing the IS-10.  There is no way I can underexpose 1 to 1.5 stops.
> Without underexposing my test map, it's a worthless shoot.
>
> Gary Reese

For ISO 100 film, scrape the paint off square 2 for 1 stop, 2 and 6 for
1-2/3 stop. With the long end of the spool pointing left, the DX squares
are numbered 1-6 from top left to top right, 7-12 on bottom row.
I haven't personally done this.

For those who just have to know:

Let SN = 1 when square N is shiny, SN = 0 when not

S1 is always 1
A = S2 + 2*S3 + 4*S4
B = S5 + 2*S6

ISO = 25*2**A + (2**(1/3))*(B-1)

Notice that this scheme helps with cheapo cameras.
You can detect the multiples of 25 by sensing three squares.
100, 200, 400, and 800 by sensing 2 (S2 & S4).
And for real cheapos, decide between 100 and 400 by sensing only S4.

Paul