Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles

Subject: Re: [OM] Fast Wide Angles
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 17:11:20 -0500
At 02:19 PM 3/29/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have been following this thread for a while and I
>would like to get suggestions from some of you
>especially people who are familiar with the New York
>City area.
>
>We are planning to make a week visit to NYC this
>summer.  One of the places I am eager to revisit
>is at the top of Statue of Liberty.  The last time I
>was up there was back in 1966 or 67 on school field
>trip.  This time I am taking my wife and two children
>ages 9 and 7.
>
>Is picture taking allowed at the top (at the Statue's
>crown) ?  As I recall from my vague memory that the
>inside of the observation platform was very narrow
>and constrained.  If the photography is allowed what
>focal length is suitable inside of the Statue ?
>
>The shortest Zuiko I have is the 24mm/f2.
>
>Since this is a major family outing, I want to limit
>the number of gadgets I am taking - one OM body, two
>(24/2 35-70/3.5-4.5) or three (24/2, 50/1.2, 100/2)
>and the T32.

Hi Jim...

I live in NYC but am one of the typical New Yorkers who hardly ever visit
any tourist attractions :-(

I've been to the top only twice and if I recall it is a poor place for
photos. Teeny tiny windows and the cops trying to keep you moving cuz there
are a zillion people behind you who want there turn in the barrel. However
there are many other opportunities for photos on the boat going over, on
the island itself, and from the lower observation points within the statue,
which are less crowded.

I'd leave the 50 1.2 behind and bring the 24, zoom, and 100, unless you are
sure you'd want to take photos within the statue, where you would need the
speed of the 1.2. But hey, what do you have those kids for if you can't get
them to carry things? Give them a body apiece; the young one gets a 300 4.5
and the old one gets the tripod to put it on!

If you're interested in meeting, let me know off-list...

Regards,
Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com
Panoramic and 360deg Immersive Images at
        www.threehundredsixty.com