Re: [OM] OM101 (OM88) help

Subject: Re: [OM] OM101 (OM88) help
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:03:05 +0100
Wolfgang wrote:

:Hi John,
:why you are such sure that this can´t be done?. I bought an OM77 which seem
:to suffer from the same problems. So I made my own thoughts about how to
:overcome this problem.

Yes but now we're talking about two different cameras. The OM-707 (aka
OM-77) at least shows shutter speed and aperture values with AF lenses, and
nothing with non-AF lenses.
But John replied to Marco who knows a guy in Italy who claims he can modify
an OM-101 (aka OM-88) to show aperture values and shutter speeds (with
non-AF/PF lenses (Zuikos), if I remember correctly). But the viewfinder of
the 101 doesn't have the proper LEDs in the first place: there are only 5
symbols, from top to botton: a flash symbol (flash charged/flash ok), 'P'
(Program Mode), 'A' (Aperture preferred Auto Exposure Mode - only possible
when Manual Adapter 2 is attached), and two arrows that are used in Manual
Mode
(which also needs Adapter 2) to indicate proper exposure.

That's it. Even with AF/PF Olympus lenses there is no shutter speed or
aperture info. The 'surgery' would involve complete replacement of the
viewfinder electronics (with what?) at costs that probably exceed the price
of this least
desirable of all OM-bodies (its only property that appeals to me is its
"2-13" Super Lumi-Micron Matte Screen). So my best thoughts about this
Italian guy are that he either confused the 77 with 88 (I can image
something indeed *can* be done with the OM-707 AF), or that he was "joking",
but my worst thoughts are that he is an imposter, since he is, according to
Marco, asking money for it. Not to do the surgery, but to tell you how it
can be done... :-(
Do you want to get rich? Give me US$10 and I'll tell you how...

And Matthias wrote:

:I have insulated this switch with tape and then
:reattached the outer plastic cover (be careful not to tighten the screws to
:much because of the plastic parts). So the viewfinder information is
:visible with Zuikos

And what viewfinder info have you made visible, Matthias? My description
above is based upon info and pictures from the Sales Information File. I
know there can be misprints, but hopefully not to this extent... And I don't
believe there were two different versions of the OM-101?

Hans