Re: [OM] Strange Winder 2

Subject: Re: [OM] Strange Winder 2
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 19:50:24
At 12:47 AM 2/15/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>I have a Winder 2 which works but acts strange. When releasing the button,
>a picture is immediately taken. But then goes, maybe 1/2 second, while
>there is a buzzing sound (like the motor tries to wind the film but the
>drives are not connected to eachother) until the film is actually winded.
>
>Do anyone know what might be the problem? (It is not in the camera, since
>it works nicely with a Motor Drive 1).
>
>/Claes

Hi Claes,

I've had this same scenario with my Winder 2. I can't give you a technical
explanation, but it certainly acts as though some sort of sequencing is
disrupted.  I found that by switching the winder to another body which had
no film in it at the time that I was able to fire off a sequence or two and
sort of "reset" the winder, and then it worked properly again.  This did
not seem to be related to significant differences in camera bodies in my
case. I had the problem with it on an OM-1N and corrected it on an OM-1.

If you don't have a second body, you might rewind the film, try removing
the winder and reattaching it, and see if you can then get it working
correctly.  Reload the film and see if the winder winds it back to the
frame where you left off shooting when the problem occurred.

Nikon motors occasionally need to be "reset" by arcing the contacts. I've
wondered if the situation is similar with Olympus winders.

Joel