Re: [OM] OT SLR Research report

Subject: Re: [OM] OT SLR Research report
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:46:42 -0600
>Thanks for the report!  You're a better resource than Pop Photo! ( That
>*was* meant as a compliment :>)

Thank you.

>The F100 and EOS-3 ("The Triumph"?) are getting so much fawning praise
>from the mags that it's nice to see an unbiased opinion. I especially
>enjoyed your confirmation of my feelings about the EOS3s viewfinder.

Actually, my opinion is extremely biased.  It is biased by my experience,
style of photography, subject matter and the fact I'm an Olympus
user--hence the reason why I'm doing this series of reports.

One thing I forgot to mention was hand-holding the cameras for vertical
compositions.  For some odd reason, none of the cameras felt very good, but
the F100 probably was the best.  The F5 and EOS-1n had secondary releases
on the bottom-right of the motor drives which helped immensely, but
required a complete change of hand positioning.  I'm used to being able to
easily and smoothly move the Olympus (with and without winder2) between
verticals and horizontals with virtually no changing of hand locations.
The way the grips are designed and the high weight of these cameras made
for less than comfortable back and forth V/H shooting.

The point of this research is to determine where a good Zuiko boy should go
when his OM-2S/OM-1/IS-3 just ain't enough.

>How can you compose a photo with all those distractions? And
>eye-control?  I've always felt that was the ultimate gimmick.  Lastly,
>your commentary on the IS zoom was a point I'd never thought of.

Can't take credit for the IS lens comment.  I heisted that observation from
somebody else on the list.  Maybe it was William S. who made that
comparison first.

Eye-control does work and works very well.  But it requires an entirely new
style of composing--one change that I might not be ready to make right now.
 Calibration of the eye-control in the new EOS-3 was fast and easy.  It
took less than 30 seconds for me to have it pretty much where it was
supposed to be.  Guess my eyes are pretty normal.

>Oh and BTW, that Tokina - I guess it's not available in OM mount?

Don't think it will ever be.  Too bad.  I'd trade my 35/shift for that
lens.  Shoot, I'd trade half my kit for that lens.

Hmm.  Judging by what people are willing to spend on focus screens, maybe
I'll sell off my stock of screens collecting dust.  ...let's see, five
screens at $25 each, hmm. that only leaves $750 to go.  Ah! the varimaggot
finder, another $150.  An empty packet of Olympus lens tissue--now there's
an Ebay item!

Ken
Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography