Re: OT [OM] rangefinder resolution

Subject: Re: OT [OM] rangefinder resolution
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 00:27:15 +0200
>I think all this is just splitting hairs!
>(sorry, couldn't resist that.)
>RK

Maybe it's splitting hairs, but the ultra microscopy was a very serious
research field in the thirties, before the electrone microscopy became
available. There were also tries to use UV light and X-rays to increase the
resolution. But the wisdom, that the resolution is depending on the
wavelength, seems to be not the last word. IBM has developed a light (!)
microscope, which can resolve patterns as great as five C-atoms. It's
called optical aperture less interference microscope or similar. You can
find information in the internet. And last but not least, there is this
interesting scanning tunnel microscope, which was developed by IBM
scientists in the early eighties. A little bit off topic, I think.

Matthias