Re: [OM] Inexpensive wide (<28 to fisheye) lens rec - Zuiko-holic in nee

Subject: Re: [OM] Inexpensive wide (<28 to fisheye) lens rec - Zuiko-holic in need of fix.
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 20:57:46 +0100
:I've seen a new Vivitar 19/3.8 listed at $119, which sounds
:intriguing. Has anyone used this?

No I haven't, but it sounds like a good price. Other affordable options I
can think of are the Cosina 20/3.8 or the Tokina 17/3.5.  And for 'the real
thing', the 24/2.8 Zuiko is still quite affordable.

:Is there such a thing as a cheap fisheye?

Yes Sigma has two: a 8/4 and a 15/2.8, but the latter recently received one
smiley :-) from Gary, so I guess this means trouble. But if you can find an
occasion, it will cost the half of the Zuik.
And then there is the real poor man's fisheye, when you just occasionally
want to taste the fun, but don't want to pay the bucks: the (semi-)fisheye
0.42x converter (mainly sold for video use by Hama and others). I have one
that can be attached to the 24/2.8 by using a step-up ring, and when you
stop down well, the results are quite acceptable. Wide open only the center
is sharp. It costed me only Hfl. 50 (25 US$; it was an occasion).

Hans