Re: [OM] Inexpensive wide (<28 to fisheye) lens rec - Zuiko-holic in nee

Subject: Re: [OM] Inexpensive wide (<28 to fisheye) lens rec - Zuiko-holic in need of fix.
From: Kenneth Sloan <sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:55:27 -0600
> That said, I still don't have a wide angle lens that exceeds the
> reach of my 28-85 zoom, but I'd like one. In an ideal world, I'd pop
> down for a Zuiko 21 and a fisheye, but I have to use real dollars and
> not ideal dollars.

First...de gustibus non disputandum est.

but...for me, 28-85 pretty much defines the range of focal lengths that
I NEVER use.  For a long time (to make a connection with another thread)
my favorite lens was the old 75-150 zoom - light, compact, flexible -
but I found myself using it much more at the long end than the short end
and even though it's light, compact, flexible...it's still a pretty
heavy 150 f/4 lens (and a very heavy 75 f/4!).  For this range I finally
went "traditional" and have been using a 135 f/3.5 - not as flexible,
but a tad lighter.  And, just to cover the range, I'm in the market for
a 100, and an 85...and maybe a 35...help me before I buy another (if it
says "filter size = 49mm", I want it)!

Getting back to the question, my current all-time favorite...virtually
permanently attached to my 3Ti...is the 24 f/2.8.  I consider this to be
my "normal" lens, and have been known to take portraits with it (this
pretty much defines "up close and personal").  Small, light, fast enough
for me, and perfectly matched to my usual "vision".  Highly recommended!
And, the metal hood (absolutely necessary!) makes an excellent "stand",
and general protection (my dog once pulled camera, lens, and hood off a
table onto a hardwood floor - the only casualty was the hood, which
crumpled nicely.

Also...not all that expensive.  Even the replacement hoods are cheap...

--
Kenneth Sloan                                            sloan@xxxxxxx
Computer and Information Sciences                       (205) 934-2213