Re: [OM] OM4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 07:06:10 +1100
Jerry Dean wrote:

> Thank you for your opinions on the OM4, I take it you would rather own
> something else and you don't really reccomend it.

Not strictly true... it depends. No camera is perfect, and choosing
one is a compromise which only you can make. The OM-4 is a very
capable camera, really lacking only autofocus and a fast shutter.
Do try to physically handle one, though, before buying one via
mail order.

> I am having a very
> hard time making a purchase decision between OM and the Aria.

I think you should consider the system as a whole. The Aria IMO is
an example of the Gillette business plan: make the razor (body) cheap
and make a fortune on the blades (lenses). I wouldn't myself choose
Contax because I value compactness and light weight, and Contax have
no tradition of that - the opposite, in fact. Their conversion to
the cause might be as short-lived as Nikon's was, and then where
would I be with thousands tied up in lenses?

Olympus seem these days to favour prime lenses . If you're a zoomy
kind of guy, you might have to buy used. The third party offerings for
OM are pretty thin these days. But I see that you're investigating
lenses too, so really this comment is directed at lurkers.