Re: [OM] Olympus

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 22:31:07 +1100
Jan Steinman wrote:

>It is perfectly intuitive to me, and I routinely use center-weighted
>exposure lock on my OM-4Ts. It is true that you cannot freeze a
>center-weighted reading without tripping the shutter. IMHO, that's a
>feature, not a bug...

For those who haven't seen it, I'll paste Paul Connet's answer to
this point from over in the "Exposure meter and centre-weighted..."
thread which split from this one:

'To use the OM-4 exposure memory function to "lock" an off-composition
center-weighted exposure reading you have to waste a shot on the desired
off-composition area of the scene. Then you can take your re-composed shot
with that exposure reading  -- major headache and waste of film IMHO.'

OTOH it's mostly a spot reading one wants to lock, and the OM-4 can do
what almost no other camera can: lock *across* exposures. For example.
when taking a picture of an animal, one starts at a distance and
moves in. In the beginning, the animal is small in the frame and
maybe moving or irregularly shaped, so hard to spot meter. So one
meters off a mid-tone and uses MEMO to keep that reading as one
moves in taking more shots. You can alter the aperture to get different
depths of field. If it's a mirror lens, you can use an intermediate
stepless speed for perfect exposure. Nikon, Minolta and probably
others force you into manual mode, which is slower and less
satisfactory.

"Exposure lock" sometimes means this and sometimes means locking
up to the next shutter release. I don't know what the Contax does.

> I'm sure I wouldn't be happy with other
> manufacturers' exposure lock, but I don't deny they have such a feature

Some have to be held down, so don't work with a tripod. For me, they
might as well not exist.