Re: [OM] OM4Ti spot metering

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti spot metering
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 15:44:37 EST
Joel writes:

> (I also don't understand why people use hand held spot meters to take a
>  highlight reading and a shadow reading and average them.  This seems like a
>  Hail Mary approach to exposure.)

Easy answer.  How many scenes have equal amounts of brightness and shadows.
In another words, is the % balanced to the right and left of mid-tone?  If it
isn't balanced, an averaging meter is going to be off.  An average of a spot
reading of the brightest highlight in which one wants detail and the darkest
shadow in which one wants detail is a thinking man's (and woman's) approach to
averaging.  It offer a pretty high percentage of being technically correct.
Artistically correct depends on which tones you want to emphasis to be on:
shadow or highlights.  One than biases the averaged reading, most easily by
adding an intermediate spot reading to the mix.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV