Re: [OM] OM4Ti spot metering

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti spot metering
From: Andre Goforth <goforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:21:42 -0800
Gary,

If the image of the moon is big enough in your viewfinder, then you have
the opportunity to go past the sunny 16 rule of thumb. The craters on the
moon are a bit darker than the mountains, which depends on the angles of
the sun, moon and earth observer. Look at it this way: Consider taking a
picture of an elephant, which is a nice grey object. With a nature photo of
the elephant in its habitat I would take the sunny 16 rule. But if I have
the elephant and nothing but the elephant in my viewfinder then I may want
to consider the highs and lows across all that dermis. Note there are thin
areas of an elephant that are "black", like around the eyes and creases.
This is with B&W photography, with slide film, bracketing would do around
average metering.

Andre