Re: [OM] OM4Ti spot metering

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4Ti spot metering
From: Alexander <mediadyne@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:33:50 +0200
Sean Chan wrote:

> Seems my first message didn't get through...here I go again.
>
> Sean
>
> --- cut here ---
> George S. wrote
> > Of course we do. Multi-spot metering is possibly the main
> > attraction of the
> > camera. Once you start using it, you'll be hooked.
>
> and Jim Terazawa wrote
>
> > I have both the -4 and -4Ti.  I use multi spot ~900f time, but maybe
> > about 5 0.000000or hilite/shadow functions.
>
> I too use spot metering a lot (90%??) with my OM-4Ti and EOS-3.
> And I agree it's a dream to use. However, I'm wondering if it's
> necessary. Last Wednesday I went shooting with a friend of mine
> and he asked me to take a picture of a building. I spotted the
> blue sky, the cream building walls, and dark windows. Then he
> asked me, "What the hell are you doing?? You don't have to spot
> all that!! Your evaluative metering (I was using my EOS-3) should
> be able to handle all that!!".
>
> Most likely if I had settled for the EOS-3's evaluative metering
> or my OM-4Ti's center-weighted, it would have resulted in the same
> exposure settings averaged by the spot metering. But I've gotten
> so used to & dependent on spot, that I wonder if I am using it
> incorrectly. Anyone else feels this way??
>
> Sean

I have to disagree with you. Multi spot makes a HUGE difference once you really
learn how to use it
and WHEN to use it. In countless experiments I have done using center weighted
metering and
evaluative metering (Leica R8) the results to my own spot meters were off by as
much as 2 to 3
stops.  The camera doesnt know which part(s) of the scene I want to expose
correctly. I dont believe
there ever will be an alternative to spot metering. An alternative to
photographers...maybe :)

--
Regards,
Alexander