Re: [OM] Tamron 300/2.8 (+ T.1.4x or T.2x converter) question

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 300/2.8 (+ T.1.4x or T.2x converter) question
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 22:52:21 +0100
Craig Henrikson wrote:

:Hans -- Can't say about performance, but suggest you don't do it if you are
:using an OM4(Ti).  The adaptall 2 has 4 screws in the mounting ring and
could
:grind off the memory reset button on the body mount.

Thanks for this warning. I already bought an occasion OM Adaptal 2 adapter,
because tomorrow I'll see and test the lens... on my OM-4Ti. I already
noticed the four screws (stupid design! Tamron really screwed this one up!),
and I just tested it - yes, one of the screw moves over the spot reset
button :-( :-( This obviously won't keep me from buying this lens if it's in
any good condition. Not only do I also have an OM-1 and an OM-2n, but I just
fixed the problem: I applied a drop of JB Wells two component glue in the
space on top of the problem screw, and tomorrow I'll file the surface even.
This lens fortunately is the later version (the owner mentioned the IF, and
the LD elements on the phone). IF is one of the reasons I want this lens,
because I think the 300/4.5 focusses too slow because of the long focus ring
rotation path. The 2.8 speed and the LD elements are the other reasons.
He claims the condition is fine (I asked about any possible problems like
lens surface scratches, fungus or fat aperture blades). He told me he's only
selling it because he does a lot of sports photography and is moving to
autofocus. So I'll check tomorrow if his statements about the lens condition
are correct, and if the adapter works like it should work - that it tells my
OM-4Ti that an F2.8 lens is mounted and I'll get the same spot readings as
with my 135/2.8 Zuiko.
Also thanks to Gary Reese and Warren Kato who cared to reply. Isn't there
any Zuik out there that actually owns this lens?

Hans