Re: [OM] Tamron 300/2.8 (+ T.1.4x or T.2x converter) question

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 300/2.8 (+ T.1.4x or T.2x converter) question
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:58:32 EST
Hans writes:

> I have one question about his slide in filter system. Does anyone know if
>  it's part of the optical system - that is, is it recommended to always use
>  filter (if only a neutral UV)? My guess is not.

You should have a neutral filter in your set.  One filter needs to be present.
It is part of the optical formula.

You can order a replacement carrying case for this.  The one for the current
Tamron 300mm f/2.8 is Model L-21.

For shooting coyotes, think about getting a monopod.  A useful pro tip passed
down to me is using a "kick stand" monopod, like my Gitzo, which has a locking
device in the center of the column.  It is the very same used on fine bicycles
(a "Campy").  The locking lever is set loose enough that a slight kick will
extend the monopod to full length.

Finally, as I learned the hard way, you will loose your shots if you "safari"
with the lens in a case.  You got to carry it ready to shoot, unless you are
doing an urban zoo.  That takes a lot of guts since you probably won't forget
the cost of the lens while you do it.  (Like in: "I can't really go over
there, I might slip down the slope.") Thus, your 300mm f/4.5 will seem safer
on occasion.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV