Re: [OM] Tamron 300/2.8 (+ T.1.4x or T.2x converter) question

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 300/2.8 (+ T.1.4x or T.2x converter) question
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:05:09 EST
Hi Hans:

Given two converters and filter, that is a nice buy, although you didn't
indicate condition.  Your true comparison is against the 350mm f/2.8 Zuiko,
not the 300 f/4.5  There were two versions of the Tamron, with the early
version being lower in contrast and with poorer wide open performance.  I'm
not sure how to tell the difference.  At least the early version had lens test
results in the American photography magazines of the 1980's.  I made a mental
note to stay away from the earlier version (so I must have seen tests on the
later version), but then I made lots of mental notes that are slowly being
debunked.  All in all, the Tamron got lens reviews just slightly lower than
the camera manufacturer brand 300mm f/2.8 's.

Anyone recall if the original Tamron lacked ED glass?

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV