Re: [OM] Tamron 300/2.8 (+ T.1.4x or T.2x converter) question

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 300/2.8 (+ T.1.4x or T.2x converter) question
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:57:35 -0800
Hans van Veluwen wrote:

>I'm about to buy a Tamron 300/2.8 (Adaptall 2) occasion with the Tamron 1.4x
>and 2x converters, plus a set of filters (slide in), for what I consider to
>be a very nice price - Hfl 1650 = US$ 825. Does anyone have to say anything
>about the performance of this beast, with or without the converters,
>compared to the 300/4.5 Zuiko? Apart from gaining an additional kilo
>-( will I also win or loose something in optical performance?

As others had mentioned, this lens had several versions.  The latest version
is all-black, essentially identical to the AF version, and comes w/o any TC's.
The version before that one was khaki-green, and came with a matching 1.4X TC.
Both versions were/are LD (IF) -- LD is "Tamron speak" for ED glass.

The new, all-black version is supposedly slightly sharper and focuses a bit
closer, although I'm pretty sure that the reason for redesign was to save
cost by making both MF and AF versions as similar as possible.

The above price seems very attractive, esp. with both TC's included.  The
Adaptall-2 ring problem with the OM-4/4T indeed exists, so look for the
newer version of the ring, or buy one from recent stock. Yes, Tamron still
makes them.

>Isn't there any Zuik out there that actually owns this lens?

Sorry, I don't have the 300/f2.8.  However, in the very near future,
I anticipate to own the Tamron SP 400/f4 LD (IF).  If and when, I'll
report my impressions.

Good luck to Hans,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA