Re: [OM] Amateur 200/300 prime recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Amateur 200/300 prime recommendation
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 19:20:27
At 03:50 PM 1/19/1999 -0600, BBB you wrote:

>Is the 200/4 relatively easy to shoot sans tripod? My 80-200 is heavy
>enough that I no longer attempt to use it unless I can mount it on a
>tripod (I just got a monopod and haven't tried it yet). If the 200
>was light enough to shoot hand held, it would be a huge advantage.
>
>BBB

Hi BBB,

PMFJI but handhold only with very fast film on a very bright day and only
if you are aces at focusing.  Too many critical issues collide to recommend
handholding.  Even mounted on a tripod I discovered that the use of a long
lens bracket really improved my shots with the 200/4. Formerly, I believed
that this lens was actually a trifle unsharp.  It's a lot sharper than I
thought. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll achieve any advantages over
your 80-200 sans tripod.

Cheers,

Joel