Re: [OM] Amateur 200/300 prime recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] Amateur 200/300 prime recommendation
From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:02:13 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:07:00 -0600 (CST), "Barry B. Bean"
<bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> jammed all night, and by sunrise was overheard
remarking:

> So I'd like to find a few recommendations and scour the used lens or
> third party lists or a deal on a 200 or 300 in the under $250 range,
> preferably cheaper.
>
> Any suggestions?

I have stranger gaps to fill. I got a Tameron 28-200 zoom years ago,
which covers nearly anything you could want in a single lens, but isn't
exactly in-keeping with the OM sense of compact size & weight, or 49mm
filters. And it's certainly not the sharpest nail in the box.

On the high side, I have a 500mm f8 mirror, and since I like that lens
so much (sure, mirror lenses have their own set of problems, but the
simply fact is, it's usually there in the bag when I need it), I picked
up a used Celestron 300mm f5.6, for just a hair over $100. This is
resonably sharp, not contrasty, but it's a bit shorter than my Zuiko 135
f3.5, though noticably wider. Not something ever likely to be left
behind because of size; I can fit it, the 135mm, a 50mm, and a 28mm
along with a body in one of the tiny "two lens + body" LowePro bags.

The other one I got recently in this range in a Zuiko 100-200mm f5,
mainly because it was at a price I couldn't refuse ($55). In very nice,
with a small bit of internal cleaning necessary to be in EX- shape. This
is a Zuiko S, with the plastic aperature ring, but it seems noticably
sharper than the Tameron, so for me, a good deal.

Ultimately, I have found that if you want a deal, you'll find one if
you're persistant, patient, know exactly what you're looking for, and
know when to say "no". I have been collecting OM gear since the mid 70s;
I'm not usually in a hurry.

--
Dave Haynie  | V.P. Technology, Met@box Infonet, AG |  http://www.metabox.de
Be Dev #2024 | NB851 Powered! | Amiga 2000, 3000, 4000, PIOS One