Re: [OM] OT: ebay ethics [was: More ebay madness!]

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: ebay ethics [was: More ebay madness!]
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 02:46:29 EST
Gary S. writes:

> IMHO, it's too little too late.  And in my estimation, it [new fraud
preventive
>  measures] won't help them [ebay] a bit.

The run of the mill computer user seems to accept more bugs and inconviences
in computer related pursuits than they would elsewhere.  Folks kept writing
off AOL because of snafus over growing pains, not that they have solved things
yet.  Many didn't want to leave behind their already established AOL e-mail
addresses, so they stayed through the worst of times.  Others were too naive
to choose anything else.  We all know what Microsoft has been able to get away
with, esp. in getting folks to believe their promise to make things easier
through upgrades.  Meanwhile, they tell us where we want to go today whether
or not we want to go there!

So, with ebay, buyers and sellers will likely stick with them through the
worst of times, because they don't want to leave behind their treasured
Feedback Ratings showing their trustworthiness in ecommerce.  And they will be
appeased by promises that things will get better.  Heck, maybe Steve Case will
even become their pitchman.

As computer professionals, we want to believe that the strongest and most
innovative products will survive.  But we resign to the fact that massware
controls the market.  ebay is the mass-ware equivalent to the Iomega Zip
drive.  There are better ways, but ebay got to critical mass first and they
are dragging the masses to them.  Those just coming through the door don't
even know the history of fraud.  It's the herd instinct.  Would adverse legal
active cool it down?  It didn't cool AOL for long . . .

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV