Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...

Subject: Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:06:43 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:34:25 +1100 you write:
>This guy has posted his criticisms of a camera (which personally, I don't
>use even though I have one).
>
>Flaming benefits no one. I've seen this recently on this list and others.
>His opinion was expressed without malice to anyone on this list. Anyone
>deserves a response in the same manner the first comment was given. Surely
>we are not that insecure that we cannot handle criticism?

I have to agree strongly with Foxy here.  I know that I used to be one
of the first to jump all over someone who I disagreed with here... but I
slowly saw the error of my ways.  Doing so only adds unnecessary
messages to the list (most of us agree that OM's are great, so you're
just preaching to the converted), and dimishes the generally friendly
atmosphere on the list.  I'd *really* hate for this list to become like
some other lists, where almost anything even remotely critical, or even
anything period, that gets said gets jumped on by someone who disagrees.
Comments like "Don't let the cyber-door slap you in the rear on the way
to the wonderbrick lists" are inappropriate, period.  I suggest that
everyone who feels themselves violently disagreeing with someone over
something take time to *think* about your replies, and how the reply
will make *you* look to the rest of the list.  Will your intended reply
make you look like a resonable, thoughtful person, or like someone who
has an underlying sense of hostility toward any opinion that you don't
agree with?  We all here are intelligent enough to realize that a)
resonable people can agree to disagree in a civil manner, and that b)
you are unlikely to change someone's mind about something by yelling at
them.  Finally, for all those that replied along the lines that
"obviously this person didn't know anything about ergonomics if they
thought that the OM-4 is un-ergonomic" don't know much about ergonomics
themselves.  Ergonomics is not an exact science by any means.  What is
perfectly ergonomic for me may not be ergonomic at all for you.  What
designers strive for is a design that is ergonomic for the majority of
users, but that is *no* guarantee that it is ergonomic for *everyone*.

Cheers,
--Lee