Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...

Subject: Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 18:01:17 +0100
Frank Ernens wrote:

> More ergonomic problems with the OM-4:
>
> 12. In AUTO mode, it is not at all clear what shutter speed is
> being used, because there are no tick marks on the scale.

The shutter works without discret steps in AUTO mode, so the indicated
numbers are just a hint.

> 13. In manual mode, the +- scale is too long. You have to move
> your eyeball to read it, rather than taking it in at a glance.

Yeah the very tiny (microscopic small) F5 bargraph is the one we like
(not).
I like to have an scale spanning +-5 stops in 1/3 increments (not like
the F5 in +-2 stops in 1/2 stops, which is EOS50 standard).

> 14. In manual mode, slower shutter speeds are to the right,
> while higher exposure causes the bar graph to move to the left
> (as mentioned in (2) in my previous posting.) This is very
> disconcerting, and the manual even warns against getting
> confused by it. Eight-segment displays would have been much
> better.

Why should the graph or the shutter ring alter his direction?

When you are able to calculate in the mind the difference in stops
between 1/568 and f4.7 v.s. 1/323 and f5.1 than eight-segment
displays are better.

> 15. You can't set shutter speed in 1/3 stops for use with
> fixed-aperture (mirror) lenses.

Ha! With how many cameras you can do this, especialy ones with
traditional user interface? One stop increments are better to use
without looking at the scale.
As an work around for mirrors use spotmetering and memo in Auto mode.
35mm Photography has survived the last 70 years without 1/3 stop
increment manual shutterspeeds, so it will in the future.

> 16. No aperture in the viewfinder.

Ha! That´s Olympus, we are talking OM. It´s a feature not a bug.
I like the aperture ring at the front of the lens barrel.

> About point (2): N*k*n also have the exposure (compensation)
> number line running backwards with + at the left and - at the
> right, and it is therefore "standard" in the industry.

Industry standard is EOS1000 and myu/stylus.

> Obviously, it is impossible
> to win market share from N*k*n just by imitating their products.

If I wanted a Nikon I would buy one.

Do you realy have "ergonomic" problems with the OM-4 or do you want
an Nikon camera?

Regards

Richard