Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...

Subject: Re: [OM] Be careful what you wish for...
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 23:29:30 -0600
On fat fingers, tiny buttons, noisy beeps, and other lousy ergonomics of
the OM-4...

A common problem that many of us face when acquiring a new camera is
attempting to use it in the same way that we use the old one.  This can be
a dangerous thing.  If you are looking for the simplicity of the OM-1, you
sure will not find it in the OM-4.  But that is a good thing.  If you JUST
want the functionality of the OM-1, then get an OM-1.  In my camera bag(s)
I have an OM-1(md), OM-2S, IS-3 and Mamiya Super23.  Each camera has a
specific purpose and use.  If I attempt astrophotography in the middle of
the winter with my OM-2S or IS-3, I will be severely disappointed.
However, if I want to do macro-flash work, I would be a fool to use the OM-1.

As far as the exposure compensation dial is concerned... This is a
complaint heard from Nikon users--not from the Olympus users.  I've always
thought that the Nikon dial was backwards.  And what about the focus ring
direction?  Which way is correct?  Hmm?

Needle vs LCD display.  Are you serious?  Isn't 1/3 stop accuracy good
enough for you?  If you are bouncing around trying to get a shot from an
airplane/helocoptor/boat/horseback the last thing you want is a mechanical
meter jouncing 4 stops each direction.  Sorry, but this gripe is really weak.

><  Beeps are *always* evidence of poor interface design. When
><  you do switch it off, you find out why it was there: the
><  viewfinder doesn't indicate how many spot measurements have
><  the one value.>>

Sometimes the beeps are evidence of poor usage.  Better not get a
wonderbrick--you'd think you were at the circus.

>< I know now that it wasn't lack of marketing or keen pricing
>< which lost Olympus the SLR market. They no longer *have* a
>< product worth marketing. I would not buy this camera new at
>< any price.

Not every tool is for every task.  If I'm hammering nails I can't use a
screwdriver.  However I can drive screws with a hammer if I'm angry.

Every "new" camera requires a "get acquainted" time.  I believe that you
wrote this one off before it had a chance to really prove itself to you.
I've come across this many times in teaching users how to use a new
computer system.  I had one lady get angy because our IDIOTIC computer
system didn't let her use the letter "o" for a zero or lowercase-L for a
one.

Before dumping on this camera, ask yourself whether or not you are adapting
to what it can really do or forcing it through your own narrow set of
expectations.

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography