Re: [OM] Re: OM-system lens handbook

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM-system lens handbook
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 20:44:08 +0100
Gary Reese wrote (referring to the date of my SIF [Sales Information File]):

:
:Check the back cover.  There should be a typical Olympus date code written
in
:very small type.  Is it 1983 (i.e., the OM-1n, OM-2n, OM-10 era)?

My copy of the SIF is packed in a blue loose page binder. Typically intended
for add-ons and replacements. At  the back of the binder there is a code
printed: 0116-1079T. Does this mean october 1979? Are the metal rings made
of Titanium? :-)

To me, the most remarkable fact of this SIF is the placement of the OM-10
data sheet. It is not included in the body group, together with the OM-1n
and OM-2n, but set aside in an appendix that also includes three
rangefinders (RC, RD and the XA), the Trip 35, the PEN EE-3 and PEN EES-2.
It is almost as if Olympus was kindof  "ashamed" for this camera, and was
not willing to label it as part of the OM System, probably because it was
lacking support for motor drive or interchangeable focussing screens and
didn't have professional durability.
The loose pages that came with this SIF and are dated from the 4-Ti/707/101
period, have a System chart that was less timid about the budget cameras. It
incorporates the 4Ti, 4, 3, 2Sp, 1n, 40, 30, 20 and 10 being all happily
part of the Body Group. This combo dates the sheet to 1987. It contains two
different add-on AF System charts, one with the 707 only, and one that also
has the 101. There are also some sheets for the early compact camera's:
AFL-T, AF-10, AM-100, TRIP MD, AZ-1 Zoom, AZ-300 Super Zoom and AF-1 Twin.

Hans