Re: [OM] Re: OM-system lens handbook

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM-system lens handbook
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Jan 1999 10:06:22 +1000
Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake
thusly:

> A Web Ring would be a groovy thing, IMNSHO.  As for "maintaining"
> it, I was always under the impression that maintenance of a Web Ring
> was a distributed responsibility -- each Website "owner" has to make
> sure that the previous and next hyperlink in the Ring is working
> properly from their site.  Ring additions probably have to be
> negotiated somehow, i.e., where do you "insert" the new site?

Webrings work by maintaining the list at a central site.  The "next"
link on members' pages is actually a link CGI script on the central
site that looks up the next site in the list and redirects you to it.

No script capability or other smarts are required by the individual
sites.

One free (advertiser supported) ring-management site is
http://www.webring.org/ --- they already have a ring for Olympus
digital cameras.

cjb.

--
     __
    /  \
     ||chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
One more infobahn cliche couldn't hurt...