Re: [OM] Memories and thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] Memories and thoughts
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 23:46:12 +1100
Keith (R.K.) Berry wrote:

> For the price of a new p&s zoom camera that would  lose 500f its value
> within months, I recently bought a Retina IIIc (selenium meter so no battery
> problems!) with 12 months' guarantee. Cold weather since has allowed only
> one short trip with it, but for an hour or so, with its shiny brown leather
> e.r.c. and polished chrome fittings,

My Dad had a Retina he traded for a Minolta SRT-101 in 1972. The coating
on the Rokkors was the last word. The Minolta had two major repairs.
It never produced pictures as good as the old Retina, which I think
had German lenses. That was a rangefinder, small and quiet, and he
got some wonderful candids with it. The Minolta could f/8, but it
couldn't *be there*.

The Retina's brown leather was gorgeous. The metal was
shiny. He was proud of owning something you could clean
and polish. It was built to last and he'd paid more for it
expecting that.

Dad used a separate light meter, maybe because selenium has a memory
effect. I have a large box full of negatives and trannies he
put through it, mostly black and white but some colour.