[OM] Memories and thoughts

Subject: [OM] Memories and thoughts
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 22:57:11 +0200
Hi all,

I have two memories concerning Olympus OM equipment and one new thought:

1.The German magazine GEO published in the middle of the eighties a
photography special (maybe some German list members remember). On the last
pages there were many photographers, who have taken photos for this
magazine, and they told which equipment they use. Among them there were
many (at least 20 percent), who used OM equipment. I remember one
photographer, who said: "With Zuiko lenses I get good pictures, regardless
what kind of light is available." The photographer Guido Mangold (a Nikon
user) said that he wishes the cameras were of the solid fashion of the
sixties. In 1996, there was a actual photography special from GEO, and
there was no OM-users left, only one photographer had an XA among his
equipment.

2. When I bought my first OM-2n fourteen years ago, a classmate also bought
a 35mm SLR. He told me, that he has asked the dealer about OM cameras and
that he was informed by the dealer that the OM-system is old fashioned. So
he bought a Minolta X-500 (does anybody, except for list members of Minolta
mailing lists, remember this "new fashioned" camera ?)

3. When I called Pentax Germany because of the always overexposing MZ-5,
the telephon conversation was like the following:

Matthias: Hello, my MZ-5 always overexposes.

Pentax: Do you use slide film ?

Matthias: Yes, I always use slide film.

Pentax: Our MZ-5 is optimized for negative film. There are two
possibilities. You can change the ISO setting or you can send it to us and
we will fix the problem. Another point is, do you use the six field
measurement ?

Matthias: No, I have used as a precaution only the integral measurement.

Pentax: O.k., then this can not be the problem.

Matthias: O.k., I will send my camera to your service.

Matthias Wilke