Re: [OM] Memories and thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] Memories and thoughts
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 20:19:39 +0100
Simon E. (sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> what is so *bad* about things being old-fashioned?  Why is there this
> constant desire for the newest, the flashiest, the grandest, the fastest....
> and where does it get us?  More stress, more debt, more jealousy, more
> crime, more road rage....  get my drift?

I am with you. I too question these things. But in my opinion there is an
answer:
It is the camera manufacturer who is behind all this by their heavily
advertising of the latest things. They do it in order to sell. They *need* to
sell as they have invested enormous amount of money to make a new product or ad
a new feature to a system.
Did they ever ask the user what they really want? I don't know, but I suspect
not. I guess they assume all camera users are looking for easier use - less
thinking.
On the other hand, if *I* use a "modern" camera *I* have to think... And when I
finally find out how to switch to manual to be able to control the camera I
realize I have never been asked what I would like to have nor have I ever seen a
questionnaire.

Basically I think the camera producers need to come with new stuff. Why? Simply
because other companies will and they will lose share of the market if they go
quiet and stick to their latest line. It is all a big competition and the
company who is forgotten is lost, the one who is remembered first is ahead of
the rest.
People, consumers, always tend to get the latest as they also believe it is the
best - without asking if it really is. People also tend to act like a flock of
sheep - if one does one thing, the rest follows...

That is why *we* are stuck and abandoned.

I am not depressed by the fact that we *are* stuck and abandoned. I am just
happily noticing it... ;-)

--
Regards/
  Ingemar Uvhagen