Re: [OM] Memories and thoughts

Subject: Re: [OM] Memories and thoughts
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 22:46:36 -0000
Simon E.wrote:

>What is so *bad* about things being old-fashioned?  Why is there this
>constant desire for the newest, the flashiest, the grandest, the
fastest....
>and where does it get us?  More stress, more debt, more jealousy, more
>crime, more road rage....  get my drift?

Quite right! It takes quite a few years after its launch for a camera model
to gain a reputation for durability, popularity (or otherwise), and if a
particular camera was great THEN, it should be great now - provided that its
consumables aren't obsolete. You need to be a wealthy enthusiast to own,
maintain and drive elderly or vintage cars, buses and motorcycles, but for a
moderate sum you can buy a classic camera from the era of your youth.

For the price of a new p&s zoom camera that would  lose 500f its value
within months, I recently bought a Retina IIIc (selenium meter so no battery
problems!) with 12 months' guarantee. Cold weather since has allowed only
one short trip with it, but for an hour or so, with its shiny brown leather
e.r.c. and polished chrome fittings, I was reliving a woodland stroll of
over thirty years ago. Next time I hope to take my newly acquired Schiansky
tripod of the same age, too.

Regards,
Keith
keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx