Re: [OM] OT: USPS International postage rates

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: USPS International postage rates
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 21:35:51 GMT
On Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:09:34 -0500, Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Not true. There is a regular cheapo air parcel post that is separate from
>Global Priority Mail.
>

>Denton

Thanks for your input Denton, but the international rate calculator at
http://ircalc.usps.gov/ gives the following results after entering
Netherlands for destination, and choosing a 3lb. small parcel
uninsured:

>Service
>                                       Speed
>                                                  Cost
>                                                        Dimensions
> Express Mail
>                                       2 - 3 Days
>                                                  $28.50
>                                                        Max. length 36", max.
> length plus girth 79"
> Global Priority Mail, Flat Rate Box
>                                       3 - 5 Days
>                                                  $22.00
>                                                        12-5/16" x 9-1/4" x 2"
> Global Priority Mail, Variable Weight Option
>                                       3 - 5 Days
>                                                  $19.95
>                                                        Max. length 24", max.
> length plus girth 36"
> Global Priority Mail, Large Flat Rate Envelope
>                                       3 - 5 Days
>                                                   $6.95
>                                                        9-1/2" x 12-1/2"
> Small Packet (Air)
>                                       4 - 7 Days
>                                                  $16.80
>                                                        Not available, consult
> your Post Office
> Small Packet (Surface)
>                                       4 - 6 Weeks
>                                                   $8.05
>                                                        Not available, consult
> your Post Office
>

>* This is an estimate based on the postal operations plan and projected
>delivery time in the destinating country. Your results may vary.

Although prices are given for 'small packet', the service is mentioned
as 'not available'.

When I choose 5 lb. or more for weight, the cheap air parcel post
comes back into the table again, being even cheaper than the global
priority rate for the lighter one.
Maybe the sender must fill up the box with rocks to reach the weight
which allows for a cheaper way of sending it, or what?   ;-)

Unfortunately I can't contact a US Post Office to inquire on this
further (as advised in the quote above).

Maybe sending it as a letter is another way - I just don't know.

Thanks, anyway.

Happy New Year (in 25 hours and 25 minutes from now - European time of
course)

Frank.