Re: [OM] Is the OM system dead?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is the OM system dead?
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 21:12:49 +1100
Richard Schaetzl wrote:

> > [FE] I seem to remember reading about how one of those shots underneath
> > a ski jumper was taken. A camera with drive was placed in the correct
> > position, activated by the skier breaking an IR beam. The thing
> > fired on continuous as the skier came over. They smashed 3
> > wonderbricks before they got the shot.

> [snip] An OM-1 with motor and the mirror switched up would be ok.

Assume a 2m field of view, a 5fps motor drive, and an acceptable
placement error in the frame of 10%. Then the skier can be going
no faster than 2m/s or 7.2 km/h. With a 10fps Canon, 14.4 km/h. Even
I can ski faster than that... well, it was a ski jumper landing,
so what would that be? 80km/h? I think they shot lots of rolls of
film and hoped for the best.

Maybe you could improve your chances by modifying a drive to go
much faster (no faster than 60fps though). There's just a whole
lot more street cred in finishing the day with the tangled
wreckage of 3 EOSs.