Re: [OM] Is the OM system dead?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is the OM system dead?
From: Matthias Wilke <Matthias.K.Wilke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 07:23:22 +0200
Gary write:

>Canon   --  31 EOS (AF) lenses; 15 FD (manual focus) lenses;
>Nikon   --  60 lenses (AF + manual focus, cross-platform compatible);
>Olympus --  39 lenses;
>Minolta --  20 MAXX (AF) lenses; 7 MD (manual focus) lenses;
>Pentax  --  13 lenses (AF, cross-platform compatible);
>Leica R --  12 lenses;
>Contax  --  16 lenses.

>Of course, if one's photographic needs require AF, or a switch to
>MF/LF, then it's a completely different story.  But even then,
>I would advise to hold on to a "bare essentials" OM/Zuiko outfit,
>if not for sentimental reasons :-), then at least for its future
>collectible value.  Otherwise, I would probably hold out for 2-3
>years, and watch what happens with digital photography.

When switching to medium format or adding MF to your equipment, you can use
the Olympus macro lenses for bellows as part of the Hasselblad system,
because Hasselblad offered (1996, still offers?) these lenses and a special
modified macro bellows for their cameras. Another point is that in spite of
the 15 FD manual focus lenses, the Canon FD System is even more dead than
the Olympus system, because they gave away service even of the F-1 new.
Then I think its a wrong imagery, that camera manufacturers, who offer a
lens, have this lens in production. Many lenses you can buy today, are in
fact years old. An exception may be the Canon I, II, III and so on best
selling plastic lenses. So the right question is, is there a lens in
reserve and is the manufacturer willing to build a new series, if the
reserve is sold out. (Canon will not refresh the FD reserve.)
Matthias