Re: [OM] Is the OM system dead?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is the OM system dead?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 17:13:51 -0800
George (Mr. Insomniac) Anderson wrote:

>I woke up in the middle of the night a couple nights ago.  I couldn't
>sleep.  The thought that was in my mind when I awoke [...] was
>"Shit, the OM system IS dead."  Santa, can u help me with THIS one?

Charlie (Mr. Nostalgia) Loeven mused:

>George,  I am afraid you are right!  For most people it is dead, and
>I predict that even the dwindling high priced new OM stuff will be all
>but gone soon.

Ho, ho, ho!  Santa's busy delivering throw-away plastic P&S's, and
disgusting, el cheapo wonderbricks (grrr... bleh... puke... Oops,
pardon my indigestion ;-)).  Hence, he asked moi to respond to the
above nightmares and expressions of premature pessimism.

So, here's my 2 cents.  For me personally, the best indicator to the
vitality of any pro-quality 35mm photo system is the monthly B&H catalog.

The January 1999 issue offers the following perspective.  Here is the
list of major camera makers, and the number of different PRIME lenses
(incl. macros, excl. TC's!) each one of them offers new for purchase:

Canon   --  31 EOS (AF) lenses; 15 FD (manual focus) lenses;
Nikon   --  60 lenses (AF + manual focus, cross-platform compatible);
Olympus --  39 lenses;
Minolta --  20 MAXX (AF) lenses; 7 MD (manual focus) lenses;
Pentax  --  13 lenses (AF, cross-platform compatible);
Leica R --  12 lenses;
Contax  --  16 lenses.

Based on the above, and the still very competitive performance of
the great majority of Zuiko lenses, I'd say that the OM system is
far from obsolete.

Would I like to have a more attentive Mother Ship?  You bet!
Does it have some catching up to do with C*non/N*kon?  Of course!
Could we use some fast super telephotos,or high-end modern zooms?
No question!  Am I worried that key aftermarket lens makers slowly
phase out their manual focus offerrings?  Sure I am!

However, it seems to me that everyone else outside the C*non/N*kon
duopoly is in a similar or worse situation.  My conclusion is that
as long as B&H, the largest reseller of 35mm gear outside Japan,
continues to carry and support the OM system, and s/h bodies are
readily available, it's probably safe to stick with the OM's, esp.
if one is heavily invested in Zuikos.

Of course, if one's photographic needs require AF, or a switch to
MF/LF, then it's a completely different story.  But even then,
I would advise to hold on to a "bare essentials" OM/Zuiko outfit,
if not for sentimental reasons :-), then at least for its future
collectible value.  Otherwise, I would probably hold out for 2-3
years, and watch what happens with digital photography.

Ok, this is as close as I'll ever get to a Zuiko-themed Xmas carol.
I hope it cheered up at least some of my dear OLY-list friends.

Happy Holidays,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA
schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx