[OM] 3V power supply (was: OM 3Ti - OM 4Ti - OM 4T question)

Subject: [OM] 3V power supply (was: OM 3Ti - OM 4Ti - OM 4T question)
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:51:54 GMT
On Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:13:05 -0800, "Rand E. Tomcala"
<rtomcala@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Frank,
>  Please share the ckt for the regulator part of this power supply.
>Rand E.

and:

>  You are correct, this did come up about 6 or 7 months ago (when last
>it was cold ?).  I believe that such a accessory was produced and at
>least one list member did have one.  The bottom line, I believe, was
>that one could be made by just drilling a hole in a (spare) battery
>cover and makeing up a dummy battery and connecting it to a pack kept
>close to the body.  AFAIK
>Rand E.

Hello Rand, and all others interested.

I use an integrated circuit type LD-1117 for this purpose. It comes in
a 3.3 volt and a 3.0 volt edition, so be sure to choose the right
(=last) one! It costs about $2 only, being applied widely in the
computer world, for the newer type of processors.

It is a modern 3-pin low drop voltage stabilizer, which only asks for
one 10 uF elco as an extra component. You might even leave this out if
the input batteries are only used for feeding this little device.
The middle pin of the LD-1117 is for common input and output ground,
The left pin is for 4-12 volt positive input, the right pin gives the
desired 3.0 volt positive output
For input I use 5-6 volt, from 4 NiCads or 4 alkalines, but 3 of the
latter would probably do.

                   _________
                  |         |
                  |         |
                  | LD-1117 |
                  |         |
                  |_________|
                    |  |  |
                    |  |  |
                 in | GND | out
               4-6V | 0V  | 3.0V
                    |  |  |
          +_________|  |  |_______________+
  from                 |                   to camera
 battery  -____________|__________________-

A 10uF elco could be added across the output.

BTW, if you can find other 3.0 volt low drop voltage stabilizers, they
will do equally well, but pin connections might be different.

The connection to the camera was indeed described earlier by me. I
sacrificed a spare battery cover (more than $10 on eBay now!) by
drilling a hole which would take a RCA female socket. The solder tab
of the socket is bent a little bit, to touch the spring in the battery
compartment without damaging it.

I only did it for my OM-4T, not only against the cold, but mainly to
be able to use the LCD illuminating lamp more often in macro work.
This lamp probably uses more energy than all other components in the
4T.

The 2 or 2N would need a separate device since the compartment cover
is different.

Hope this helps,

Frank van Lindert
Utrecht NL.