RE: [OM] Saab's and OM's (was: Has the time come for the unthinkable?)

Subject: RE: [OM] Saab's and OM's (was: Has the time come for the unthinkable?)
From: Chris Barker <cmib@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 17:18:43 +0100
Per

My thoughts:

>>Jeez Ken..what a hard thing to do...i get so sentimentally attached to my
>>cameras that it's hard to part with them (same with auto...my 1986 Saab 900
>>has 245,000 miles and going strong...)
>>
>>Susan

Yes, I think that Ken should keep his OMs and some Zuikos in aeternam,
unless he sells it for tiny amounts to a true ZA (;-))

>Hey Susan, this is the first time in this list I´ve seen someone admit to
>driving a Saab. I´ve always (well, almost any way) driven Saab's and I´ve
>just bought a nice black 1989 900 16v ,

Back then they still had some individuality which GM cannot replace by
putting the ignition lock back on the transmission tunnel in the 9-5
(although I must admit that the 9-5 is a nice machine overall). I had a
9000i in 86 when they first came out.  I was forced to sell it in 88 on
being posted to Florida (there had to be some disadvantage to the posting
of a lifetime!).

>Next year I will visit Germany with some friends and look for war museums
>and memorial places (Gedänknisstätte?) before they disappear all together.
>Anyone having a tip? I´ve been to Ravensburger north of Berlin (terrible
>place) and the old rocket base at Peenemünde ... [snipped from Per's
>message]

If you can bring yourself to visit, Bergen-Belsen is a stirring memorial.
I visited when a Harrier squadron was based in the tank training ground
nearby.  I arrived on my motorbike in midsummer '87 to see a huge main
battle tank being washed down with spray and water everywhere, backlit
(another missed photograph) and dramatic and then found the mound of the
memorial...

Any of the war cemeteries is a worthwhile visit in my opinion.  We used to
go every Remembrance Day (11th day of the 11th month) to the cemetery in
the Reichswald in Kreis Kleve.  There were many different nations in dress
uniform congregating to celebrate the bravery of others, and to mourn the
dreadfullness of war.  What a scene, but one for remembering, not
photographing.

Anyway, I only had a little black OM-1 then with only one Zuiko.

Chris