Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....

Subject: Re: [OM] bracketing was response to my filter questions....
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:00:58 -0600
><< Photography is not thatscientific.  There is no absolute correct way to
>take a photograph of a given scene.

It comes down to the photographers "interpretation" of the scene.  Haven't
we learned ANYTHING from Ansel Adams and his zone system?  When metering
for a scene we must identify the "subject" of the scene and determine how
we want the "subject" exposed.  There isn't anything magical about that.
Spot meters are better at helping the photographer with that than most
other meter types, but let's take a sunset for example:  What is the
subject?  Sky?  Sun?  Forground?  Reflections?  Now let's assume it's the
sky--how do you want the sky represented in the final image?  Bright,
average or dark?  If we meter the sky, we can get the "average (18%) value
determined.  Now is when our "vision" takes over.  You exposure compensate
either way to achieve the goal.

Do I bracket this type of scene?  Yup, because I have a vision at the time
of what I choose to achieve, but I also take alternatives just in case some
art director has a different vision for the composite that the image will
go into.  For me, it's important to take what I want but what somebody else
wants too.  I can't always force my vision on others.  Even Ansel Adams had
to work with art directors in his commercial photography business.

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx