Re: [OM] Garage sailing 11/28/98

Subject: Re: [OM] Garage sailing 11/28/98
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:24:03 +0100
Shawn Wright wrote:

> How do the Rollei projectors compare against Kodak?

Depends on which Kodak projector to compare with which Rollei. Projector
performance is mainly determind by the lens (like cameras too).
Most projector manufactors buy there lenses from third party lens
manufactors (Leica has some own designs and Rollei belongs now to
Schneider)

> Are the slide carousels still available here?

I guess you are not refering to the Kodak carousel type trays?
There are vertical carousel trays available, for projectors which
normaly use the straight tray types. Not all straight tray projectors
can use them.

> I was thinking of looking
> for a used slide projector someday, and wondered if the Rollei is
> still in the game, or if I should just seek the more common Kodak.

Rollei still produces projectors for 35mm and 6x6. They are, now, of the high
quality, high price breed, with MC coated condensors and generous use of
metal.
The 35mm projectors allow disolve projection with just one projector out
of one tray.
The new MF 6x6 projector can project out of MF and 35mm trays.

Used projectors can be a good deal, they used to be build to last long (not
longer true for the cheap ones). Most projectors have either 42.5mm or 52.5mm
lens thread, so it´s always possible to get a different lens.

Kodak has nearly no presents in the European consumer market for
projectors. They where (with SAV 20xx series) and are (Ektapro series)
prominent in the (expensive) pro market

Regards

Richard