Re: [OM] Garage sailing 11/28/98

Subject: Re: [OM] Garage sailing 11/28/98
From: "Shawn Wright" <swright@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:03:56 -0800
On 30 Nov 98 at 16:24, Richard Schaetzl wrote:

> > How do the Rollei projectors compare against Kodak?
>
> Depends on which Kodak projector to compare with which Rollei. Projector
> performance is mainly determind by the lens (like cameras too).
> Most projector manufactors buy there lenses from third party lens
> manufactors (Leica has some own designs and Rollei belongs now to
> Schneider)
>
> > Are the slide carousels still available here?
>
> I guess you are not refering to the Kodak carousel type trays?
> There are vertical carousel trays available, for projectors which
> normaly use the straight tray types. Not all straight tray projectors
> can use them.
No, I was thinking of the round Rollei 35mm carousels. My Dad bought about 30
of them years back as he was afraid they may not be easy to find.

> > I was thinking of looking
> > for a used slide projector someday, and wondered if the Rollei is
> > still in the game, or if I should just seek the more common Kodak.
>
> Rollei still produces projectors for 35mm and 6x6. They are, now, of the high
> quality, high price breed, with MC coated condensors and generous use of
> metal.
Dad's old P37 (?) seems to be pretty well made, and is very heavy, although not
very well balanced - all the weight is at one end.

> The 35mm projectors allow disolve projection with just one projector out
> of one tray.
Cool! The school has two Kodak's, and the dissolve controller, which seems to
work quite well. I was impressed at this setup, and that it could project at
least 60 feet from our sound booth at the school. (using a Kodak 100-150 zoom
lens and 300w bulb)

> The new MF 6x6 projector can project out of MF and 35mm trays.
>
> Used projectors can be a good deal, they used to be build to last long (not
> longer true for the cheap ones). Most projectors have either 42.5mm or 52.5mm
> lens thread, so it´s always possible to get a different lens.
This is good to know.

Thanks.