Re: [OM] Unemployed or full-time Photography?

Subject: Re: [OM] Unemployed or full-time Photography?
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:51:38 -0600
>Congrats on all accounts, and you'll be most welcome in the Hawkeye state,
>where the difference between the million miles of corn here and the two
>million miles of Illinois corn will not be a big adjustment. There is some
>sort of hilly geological thing around Newton which makes for a pleasant
>backyard in many places. Iowa has more paved roads than Texas, since I
>swear every square inch of the state is under cultivation (farmers like to
>drive to their fields on paved roads, thank you very much). The county
>roads are owned by bikers. And large farm implements, moving slowly
>dropping things. And we're soon going to have a new governor who's not an
>imbecile, at least not yet.

I must say that the geography around the Newton area is plenty "hilly" but
all the hills are planted in corn.  Biking in Iowa appears to be very much
a "roady" thing and I'm a little concerned that I won't beable to wear out
my mountain bike.

If geography was our primary motivation for locating someplace I can think
of a million places in the USA that I'd rather locate, but family, friends,
contacts, jobs, etc., don't always mesh with mountains and ocean.  With
winter rapidly approaching, I am questioning the Iowa thing and thinking
that earthquakes, mudslides and brush fires might be tolerable in the land
of a million cults (California).  Nah, nothing like a good blizzard once in
a while to keep the riffraff (crimerate) down.  <g>  You don't hear about
Minnisota being a high crime state.  (high tax state yes...)

Another thing about Iowa (specifically the Des Moines region) is the huge
demand on housing.  Prices have doubled in three years.  My house is on the
market for $75,000 and the exact same thing in Iowa is $130,000.  We've
located one house that we like, but it's back yard borders Interstate-80.
So much for setting up a recording studio!  A lesser choice was right next
to a Maximum Security Prison!  So much for astrophotography, but at least
our electric bill would be nill since we would never need to turn on a light.

I'm meeting with several art directors next week to show the portfolio and
attempt to get some assignment work with a couple BIG publishers and with a
couple ad agencies.  Meanwhile, yesterday I almost sold $2.5 million (per
annum) in telecommunications services.  Anybody need major guaranteed
bandwidth across the 30 top US cities and London?  I've got it in multiples
of OC-3s, 12s, and 48s.   (shameless plug)

Ken

Kenneth E. Norton
Image66 Photography

image66@xxxxxxx