Re: [OM] Unemployed or full-time Photography?

Subject: Re: [OM] Unemployed or full-time Photography?
From: gma <gma@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 19:06:35 -0800
Ken Norton wrote:

> >We all wish you good luck, pave the way for us!
> >--
> >

> Thanks.  The problem with good paying jobs is that you are less likely to
> jump into what you really want to do.  But I don't have that problem right
> now.  <g>

Right.  When I was laid off the first time, in 1993, I began thinking
seriously about dumping the computer industry for something
photographic.  Usually I'm more astronomy rather than astrology biased,
but the day I was laid off, my horoscope in the local paper (stop
snickering now) read "You should be out taking/making pictures."

> Seriously, I'm contemplating whether or not a six figure salary
> is worth the stress and long hours.

It ain't.

> If we can get the basics covered I'll
> be able to freelance full-time.  Don't know how I'll be able to afford that
> F5 though.

Don't you mean OM-5?

> I shot 10 rolls this past week and I'm still hoping that my lab doesn't
> know I'm unemployed otherwise my account will go "cash-only."   : /
>
> Other problem is that the brain starts playing games with you by saying
> that your skills are substandard and your files obsolete...  It's hard
> sometimes being everything a client wants you to be.  I know, welcome to
> the real world.

You feel that way, too, huh?

--

To finish my story, took me 3 months to find another job back then in a
down economy out here.  I made sure when I was hired that 40 hours a

(At this point, I've resisted the temptation to go off on a tangent
about the absolutely cut-throat dog-eat-dog situation computer engineers
find themselves in these days.)

I also worked on my photography as much as possible nites/weekends to
where I now sell my Cibachrome prints pretty well at Art shows and in a
local gallery.  Still can't make ends meet this way though. There would
have to be more - say portraits (I'm in process of setting up a portrait
studio at home) and/or the dreaded 'W' word.  Corporate photography
seems to me too far removed from my landscape/nature work for me to have
much of a chance to break into it.  Besides, then I'd be working for
'them' again.

Anyway, nuf of this.  My opinion? Follow your heart, Ken.  You're young
enuf to take a bit of a gamble, n'est pas?

george  :>)