Re: [OM] Periodic Maintenance

Subject: Re: [OM] Periodic Maintenance
From: SiteMistic@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:26:42 EST
In a message dated 10/27/98 10:54:56 AM Central Standard Time,
dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
 To start things off, we all know that the shutter should be
 kept un-cocked when the camera is not going to be used, but
 how often should the shutter be exercised, and at what speeds
 (the OM-1* has a slow gear train and a fast gear train, so at
 least one of each speed ought to be exercised once in a while). >>

    With manual cameras, I've always followed a procedure I read in Pop.
Photog. 30 years ago. Once a month I fire my manual cameras five times at each
shutter speed. This has been a successful routine on some cameras I have that
I rarely use but have had for many years. The shutters, even the slow speeds,
have stayed pretty much right on. Sometimes this will also free up shutters
that have already become sluggish. I don't think storing a camera with the
shutter cocked is, in the last 20 years, as big a problem as it used to be;
but, it is still good advice to store them uncocked.
     Off topic, but along the same advice, is to periodically fire a flash
unit 5 or 6 times, then turn it off in a fully charged state, to keep the
capacitor formed.

Jim