Re: [OM] Periodic Maintenance

Subject: Re: [OM] Periodic Maintenance
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 22:51:32 +0100
Dan Lau wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:27, "cpl49" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >The one thing I do is to blow out the dust etc. with a can of compressed air.
> >I also check the battery contacts once in a while, even if I am not changing
> >them at the time.
>
> Charlie, thank you for contributing.  But can I ask you to be a little
> more specific.  For example, how often do you do these -- once a month,
> twice a year, or what.  Also, it seems to me that using compressed air
> to blow out a camera is fairly dangerous (especially with the silk
> shutter), so any recommendations: what kind of compressed air (what
> pressure?) where to aim the jet, etc.  Any specific recommendations
> would be helpful to the rest of us.
>         -Dan

My way of keeping the gear in shape is to keep it clean. The rubber
hand blower is an essential tool along with the soft brush. I use
them for lenses and screens. The blower is also used for the mirror
and shutter curtains. I do not use canned air, mostly because the
cans tend to be empty when they are needed the most. Rubber blowers
are easily available at any chemist or pharmacy around here (actually
the things are intended for cleaning ears, but they work just fine).

Industrial compressed air should not be used. It can contain water
drops from condensation. Also the pressure may be high enough to
damage something, even though the shutter curtains are fairly tough.

I clean the film area every time I change the film at home. This
normally prevents any debris from moving into more sensitive areas
and prevents scratches on the film.

Batteries are of course checked and both batteries and contacts are
cleaned "regularly", meaning whenever I remember it or have a problem.

Other than that, I check the calibration of the light meter now and
then by comparing the readings from my selection of bodies and my
Lunasix light meter. So far those results have been in agreement
with the exception of my oldest OM1, where the meter is reliably
unreliable :-(

All in all my car receives more regular service than my cameras, but
less often. Anyway, the idea of a service plan for the cameras is a
good one.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://isa.dknet.dk/~lhaven
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"