Re: [OM] Challenge

Subject: Re: [OM] Challenge
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 09:47:10 -0500
>< I need to have a camera system that I can rely on due to a big increase
>in work coming my way, at this stage I have just about had enough of
>waiting for an up to date camera body and lenses from Olympus. IMHO time is
>fast running out.>
>
>I assume this would be the view of any professional working with Oly kit.

My next major camera purchase will probably not be an Olympus but an F5 with
one of those gee-wiz  5-1000/2.8 wonderzooms.  Seriously, the F5 is
definitely on the list along with some serious heavy iron (big lenses).
Will Nikon eventually replace my Olympus kit?  Sure, ya gotta move on
eventually.  Lenses get worn out and funguyed, motor drives get weak, flash
equipment burns out and no matter how often you CLA those OM's they do
eventually succomb to a slow painful death.  Unless Olympus came out with a
decent AF body and lens line, I see no advantage to staying put.  I'd like
to pick up both the F5 and an F3 as they can use the same lenses (although
with some restrictions), and the F3, minus motor drives and other
paraphenalia is quite small.

One doesn't NEED all the features of the F5 (or whatever successor), but
without a decent AF system, Olympus is a dinasour that cannot meet the needs
of 300f the photography I'll be doing in the future.

I've thinned my kit down so much through the last couple years (attrition
and sales) to the point that I could switch to a different system without
too much reinvestment.  I'd have to get a good shift lens, but everything
else is easily replaceable.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer today, but the fact is, as a user who
uses the equipment professionally, I must have the right tools for the job.
A screwdriver never makes a good chisel, no matter how ergonomically
superior it is.  AF was developed to advance certain types of photography
and Olympus' serious neglect in that area shows that they do not and will
not cater to the photojournalist, wildlife, or sports photographer.

Ken Norton.