Re: [OM] Challenge

Subject: Re: [OM] Challenge
From: "Damon S Raphael (W7MD)" <w7md@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:20:05 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Dale <Richard_Dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, October 12, 1998 7:07 AM

>< I need to have a camera system that I can rely on due to a big increase
>in work coming my way, at this stage I have just about had enough of
>waiting for an up to date camera body and lenses from Olympus. IMHO time is
>fast running out.>

Don't hold your breath for major improvements in the OM system.  Maitani
lsot control of the design program at Olympus when the new autofocus
compatible body was cancelled.  IMHO the whole direction of Olympus design
went from OM to point and shoot digital.  I doubt it will ever return.
Instead, Olympus keeps increasing the prices on OM stuff inspite of Yen to
Dollar devaluation.

I have been using OM since the advent of the OM4T.  I am heavily invested in
the system.  I built up a parallel Nikon system when the N90 came out.  I
much prefer the N90S (which is my present model) for color slides because of
the killer accurate matrix metering and high eyepoint viewfinder.  I wear
glasses and am now age 64 with eyesight that is not the greatest.  IMHO
Olympus missed the boat with the lack of a high eyepoint option and eyepiece
dioptar correctors that do not fasten securely to the camera (I lost 2 in
one day on a photo trip to France). I do not have much use for autofocus but
matrix metering is a good thing to have when you are trying to shoot fast
and do not have time to think about backlit situations

So why do I continue to use OM?  Because of the light weight.  When I
visited Greece and Turkey last year, the light weight of the OM stuff
allowed me to pack a Pentax 6x7 with 2 lenses as well.  When I carried the
Pentax I could still have an OM body with 2 lenses (35-70 3.6 and 24mm f2.8)
in my bag.  Using iso 400 film, I could still get good shots in museums with
the OM4T.

Nikon stuff is heavy but there is a ton of used goodstuff out there at
reasonable prices.  A lot of it is real heavy to carry however.

Damon