Re: [OM] Challenge

Subject: Re: [OM] Challenge
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 17:17:14 -0400
>>When did you think the first AF Leica M will apear?
I think never. Should Denton therefore  sell his M Leica and buy an
Contax G model instead?
Would this improve his pictures? Hardly (allready perfect ;-) ), not to
forget the small number of available (slow) lenses for the G models.
You might have an aplication where AF is mandatory, so choose your
camera somewhere else.   >>

Ya wouldn't believe what I did!

Kept the M6, and bought the Contax G for the wife! This way, she gets to
wear it like jewelry, and I get to play with it! Must say, although the
lenses are exquisite, I prefer my mostly manual cameras for most stuff. And
she loves the G2; it has the ease of operation she needs, and it meets my
standards for photo quality. (This weekend we were shooting fall foilage in
the Minnewaska region of upstate NY and I did some comparison shots btw my
SLR Contax gear and the G2--should be interesting).

That just happens to be because for most of the photos I take, manual focus
is faster.

However, with the NYC Marathon coming up and passing in front of my door, I
admit that I will drag out my Nikon 8008s and 300/4, (even though it stays
in the closet all year) because for that, autofocus is faster.

>>If somebody is always after the lastes gadget, he might be wrong with
OMs. The new features of the EOS-3 teach me, that AF is still a imature
technology, so expect to pay a lot of bucks for a camera, which will
look realy old (older than an F2) in five years. >>

You are so right, of course, about immature technology. But sure enough,
it's getting better all the time, while Oly is standing still. The EOS3, if
the eye-control really works, raises the bar quite a bit, don't you think?
As I said earlier, for me manual focus is faster. However, if I could
_think_ what my focus should be, and have my camera respond
instantaneously, wouldn't that be faster still? The EOS3 appears to be on
its way to doing that. BTW, the EOS3 also has spot metering with 8-memory
averaging. Everyone steals everyone elses' best ideas; isn't that
capitalism, adapt or die?

Selgado is not a 'pro' in the way Ken was referring to; he's an artist who
shoots what he wants and sells it as fine art. Ken can correct me if I'm
wrong but he was referring to a person who might need to shoot
grip-and-grin Monday, sports Tuesday, fashion Wednesday, and a wedding on
Saturday. For that you need a versatile modern tool, because you will be
competing with those that are using them. Show up with an OM1 and T32 and
you better be _real_ good! Sure, we all aspire to create art and do nothing
but hang shows in galleries and publish books. For that, we can use our
old-fashioned cameras. For someone who aspires to work on the commerical
level, they don't cut it anymore...

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com