Re: [OM]Making a remote cord for Winder 2

Subject: Re: [OM]Making a remote cord for Winder 2
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 20:28:36 -0500
At 01:30 AM 9/14/1998 -0700, Konrad you wrote:
>Hi everybody,
>
>I've read the CAMREP faq and was particularly interested in making a
>Remote cord for my winder 2 and Om-10.
>I've got a couple of queries if anyone would like to help me!
>
>1)Does a Remote cord allow me to fire my camera shutter via the winder 2
>from a distance - is that what a remote cord does?

Yes. Standard length available from Oly are 1.2 and 5 meters.

>2)Does the phone jack fit inside the hole to the right of the winder 2
>shutter button?

Yes.

>3)If my interpretation of the faq is right, what you are effectively
>doing is using a length of cable to perform a short circuit. Right?  Or
>is a pulse of some sort meant to trigger the shutter?

Sort of the former. Just as the winder button closes the circuit and powers
the winder, so does the remote cord button, when functioning correctly.

>4)I stuffed a mini phone jack into the hole on the right of the winder2
>fire button and I noticed something funny (if it is funny after all)  As
>you insert the phone jack the winder fires.  When you short the two
>wires connected to the jack - nothing happens (ok, perhaps the contact
>wasn't that good), when you withdraw the jack, the winder fires again.
>Is my winder defective??

No, it probably means it works! I invariably and regretfully fire off a
couple shots if I try to put the jack in the winder unless it is turned off
first.  As to why shorting across the jack doesn't work, I don't know. It
should work.

>5) and finally does the remote firing work with sequence mode too?

Funny, I've never tried this. (Well, not THAT funny, since I never use
sequence mode at all.)  But it should.

Joel