Re: [OM] Fungus on optical glass

Subject: Re: [OM] Fungus on optical glass
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:29:07 -0600
At 07:15 AM 9/14/98 -0700, you wrote:

>> My first reaction is 'aargh'. On the other hand, Kodak lens cleaner used to
>> have a distinct odor of ammonia. Not sure whether it had alcohol in it like
>> the Windex.
>>
>> Winsor Crosby
>
>I find Kodak lens tissue always leaves long fibers on the glass, or
>under the edge of the front lens bezel. I'm always afraid oils from
>my fingers will bleed through the thin tissue, so fold them over,
>which only seems to make the fibers fall out even more. There
>must be a better way....

Before I clean any optical surface (including my glasses), I wash my hands with
a mild detergent, such as dish detergent, to remove most of the oils.  That way
I'm relatively assured that my hands won't transfer a significant amount of
oils onto the tissue, and from there to the surface of the optic.  When I used
to wear contact lenses, I did much the same thing, although I used a hand soap
that *didn't* contain an emollient or fragrances (nothing like getting some of
that junk in your eyes...).

These days, I'm partial to a well-washed and tumble-dried pure cotton wad, such
as an old T-shirt.  The only reason I used paper towels on the filters as
mentioned in my previous post was because I *wanted* a certain small amount of
"scratchiness" to scrub the filters.  Turns out that there's no damage, even
under a 15x loupe.  Nevertheless, I wouldn't make a practice of doing that.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/