Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 23:21:07 -0400
>>Another advantage of OM is the encouragement of thought in the picture
taking process. For instance, autofocus, has an advantage in fast action
shooting. But almost no one needs it, because that is not the kind of
shooting most people do, amateur or professional. If you do not have
autofocus and want to take action shots you have to plan ahead, predict the
action, preset focus, and shoot the shot you wanted without AF delay. With
AF there is a tendency, I think, to think less about what you are after,
less need to understand the "game" or the subject and just click what you
see. Since there is a bigger lag generally with more automatic cameras you
miss your shot more so there is a tendency to do multiple shots and pick
out a good one when the prints get back.>>

That's so true. It took me a while to retire my 8008s, but I finally did a
couple years ago. Realized it simply took too long to override the AF for
the many situations where you just wanted to shift the DOF a bit. I keep an
AF body for the situations you describe, but I use MF bodies for 95& of my
shooting...

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com